I wanted to synchronize my iPhone with my Outlook Tasks (that exist within our Exchange Server at the office). I noticed a number of APPS in the App Store that had some really poor ratings (crap, abandoned, etc.).
Then looking in the Apple Forums, I noticed a bunch of folks whining about how it didn’t work/couldn’t be done. However, I’m happy to report that it works fine for me, if you know what you are looking for.
I think in the end, the disconnect for me early on was that the App is called “Reminders”. Not Tasks, not To-Do’s. I don’t think it’s a great app name considering its purpose is primarily about managing tasks (there is already a calendar) but now that I see that, I’ll live and move on
- Outlook (in my case 2010)
- Exchange Server (2010) though I don’t see why a standalone POP3 setup wouldn’t work
- iPhone 4s
- Desktop of some kind (in my case Windows 7)
What You Need
- You need the Reminders App in your iPhone (in mine, it was already there, not an app in the app store I had to download). I don’t recall when I saw this arrive but probably with iOS5 and I’m too lazy to go check
- The iCloud software (if you don’t want to use iTunes, which would install this for you). No, you don’t need iTunes (I’m not a fan either) – http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/pc.html
- Tick the box in iCloud to enable synchronizing Calendars & Tasks
Um, Is that it?
Yep. That’s it. At least for me. Did the trick nicely, synchronized quickly.
Learn more about Reminders here: http://www.apple.com/iphone/built-in-apps/reminders.html